Data Manager consultancy opportunity
The Health Informatics and Information Systems unit in the Division of Information, Evidence, Research and Innovation is looking for a Data Manager consultant. Place of work is in Copenhagen, Denmark. Home based work is possible.
Interested candidates are encouraged to send CVs, daily rate, and short cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. CVs will be accepted until suitable candidate is identified.
Closing date for submissions: 01-09-2016
Objectives and tasks:
The WHO European Region's Data Warehouse is the data management system for integrating the Regional Office's data in a standardized format, using coding which is compliant with informatics standards. Its Application Programming Interface serves as the source of information for various client applications – the most important ones being the WHO European Health Information Gateway and the WHO European Health Statistics mobile app. The Gateway, and therefore also the content in the Data Warehouse, are governed by the WHO European Region's Gateway editorial policy.
Under the direct supervision of the Unit Leader, DIR/HIS, the incumbent will focus on the management of data and metadata in the data warehouse, and on the configuration, development and promotion of the data warehouse and related data management tools.
- set and enforce metadata management principles, standard operating procedures, and quality assurance /quality control of metadata; manage the translation and language quality assurance of all metadata
- manage data updates and additions to the Data Warehouse, in collaboration with dataset owners and the Gateway editorial committee
- review datasets that are provided by the technical units for import into Data Warehouse, clarify with the data owner inconsistencies in data and metadata, prepare the dataset container in the Data Warehouse in compliance with Data Warehouse metadataset, and manage the data first import into the Data Warehouse Provide feedback to dataset owners for future submissions and updates.
- review the proposals from technical units on how the dataset should be presented on the Gateway and in other health information system tools, formalize the requirement, and work with software developers to implement this
- define procedures for automated import and maintenance of data in the Data Warehouse, implement them, and oversee their operation
- collect, document and facilitate definitions of new requirements for the Data Warehouse, and provide feedback into requirements of related applications, such as indicator and metadata registry, reference databases, advanced data query tools and mobile apps, or data collection systems
We are seeking candidates with the following skills and knowledge:
- Very good knowledge of datasets and information in epidemiology, public health and health system domains.
- Experience consuming data from Application Programming Interfaces of diverse specifications
- Technical expertise in the application of metadata management techniques and principles in order to integrate and share information in a standard way.
- Knowledge of statistical principles, methods and software packages and data analysis preferably with a special focus on health monitoring and evaluation, and public health.
- Conceptual and strategic analytical capacity to understand a variety of health-related datasets, and related metadata
- Awareness of developments in the D4D, data science/data revolution fields, and data visualisation approaches, and able to determine the need for researching concepts to introduce into metadata, and testing and evaluating new products and technologies in the field of health data management and information visualisation
MSc in Biostatistics, Epidemiology, or other field in applied informatics or information/data science
- At least three years' experience in management of data and metadata in a health-related or social science field, of these at least 1 year at international level.
- Experience in managing data collections and validating data.
- Knowledge of R or other script-based statistical package.
Desirable: Experience in metadata management. Experience with database and data warehouse management. Experience with data analysis for purpose of reporting and presentation.
* Advanced English knowledge, and working knowledge of Russian is an asset.