Celebrating the Observatory’s 20th anniversary!
The European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies has been supporting and promoting evidence-based health policy-making for 20 years. To mark this anniversary year, the Observatory is planning a series of exciting activities with its partners and networks.Read more
Top storyTwenty years of explaining the evidence – the European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies
This year sees the 20th anniversary of the European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies, which was established in 1998 and has been helping to shape research into health systems and policy research ever since.
- Spain: a resilient health system despite the economic downturn
- Decentralized governance a way forward for hospitals – but context is key
- Estonian health system review shows great progress and opportunities for improvement
- Making the economic case for investing in health systems. What is the evidence that health systems advance economic and fiscal objectives?
- Using economic evidence to help make the case for investing in health promotion and disease prevention
- How do we ensure that innovation in health service delivery and organization is implemented, sustained and spread?
Video - European Observatory on Health Systems and PoliciesLearn more about the Observatory
Health system reviews (HiTs)
Countries’ health system reviews with facts, figures and trendsFull list of HiTs
Policy briefs and summaries
Brief reports outlining available evidence or experience on a specific policy question or area and drawing key policy options and lessons from itFull list of policy briefs and summaries
Country Health Profiles
Concise and policy-relevant profiles summarize the state-of-play in the EU Member States, emphasising their particular characteristics and challengesGo to the Country Health Profiles page
The Observatory’s quarterly journal with articles on contemporary health system and policy issuesList of Eurohealth issues
In-depth analysis on health systems and policies in EuropeFull list of Studies
Open access to a selection of articles that are particularly relevant for health policy makers.Read more
Connect with Observatory
Health Systems and Policy Monitor (HSPM)
Web platform providing up-to-date information about ongoing health system reforms and changesGo to HSPM
Health and Financial Crisis Monitor (HFCM)
Thematic web platform collating evidence on the effects of the financial crisis on health and health systems across EuropeGo to HFCM