Social health insurance systems in western Europe
- What are the characteristics that define a social health insurance system?
- How is success measured in SHI systems?
- How are SHI systems developing in response to external pressures?
Using the seven social health insurance countries in western Europe – Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and Switzerland – as well as Israel, this important book reviews core structural and organizational dimensions, as well as recent reforms and innovations.
Covering a wide range of policy issues, the book:
- Explores the pressures these health systems confront to be more efficient, more effective, and more responsive
- Reviews their success in addressing these pressures
- Examines the implications of change on the structure of SHIs as they are currently defined
- Draws out policy lessons about past experience and likely future developments in social health insurance systems in a manner useful to policymakers in Europe and elsewhere
Social health insurance systems in western Europe will be of interest to students of health policy and management as well as health managers and policy makers.
Richard B. Saltman is Professor of Health Policy and Management at the Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University in Atlanta, USA and Research Director of the European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies.
Reinhard Busse is Professor and Department Head of Health Care Management at the Technische Universität in Berlin, Germany and Associate Research Director of the European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies.
Josep Figueras is Head of the Secretariat and Research Director of the European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies and Head of the European Centre for Health Policy, Brussels, WHO Regional Office for Europe.
Helmut Brand, Jan Bultman, Reinhard Busse, Laurent Chambaud, David Chinitz, Diana M.J. Delnoij, André P. den Exter, Aad A. de Roo, Anna Dixon, Isabelle Durand-Zaleski, Hans F.W. Dubois, Josep Figueras, Bernhard Gibis, Stefan Greß, Bernhard J. Güntert, Jean Hermesse, Maria M. Hofmarcher, Martin McKee, Pedro W. Koch- Wulkan, Claude Le Pen, Kieke G.H. Okma, Martin Pfaff, Richard B. Saltman, Wendy G.M. van der Kraan, Jürgen Wasem, Manfred Wildner, Matthias Wismar.