Public health in Austria is still strongly dominated by the medical profession. Physicians operate either in the clinical setting (in hospitals or private practice), are employed by one of the medical authorities operating at various levels of the health system, or work for health system stakeholders such as social insurance, universities or research institutions. Several work as school or occupational physicians.
Top storyYoung people join forces with WHO and Member States for environment and health
Over 70 young people from 33 countries in the WHO European Region gathered in Vienna, Austria, on 27–28 November 2016 to have their say on the future of environment and health policies in Europe. The event was held at the invitation of the Government of Austria, to prepare for the upcoming Sixth Ministerial Conference on Environment and Health.
- Austrian COSI survey underlines the importance of school nutrition policies
- Investment in health equality early in childhood pays off in Austria
- The study visit in Lower Austria on cross-border health care
- 11th Meeting on the WHO European Childhood Obesity Surveillance Initiative (COSI)
- 13th Meeting of the WHO European Action Network on Reducing Marketing Pressure on Children
- Third summer school on pharmaceutical pricing and reimbursement policies
Ministry of health
Federal Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs, Health and Consumer Protection
Tel.: +43 1 71100 644500, +43 1 711 00-4300
Data and statistics
Life expectancy at birth, in years (as of 2011)More data and statistics