Malta is situated by the Mediterranean Sea and is located south of Italy and north of Libya. In 2012, the Ministry of Health in Malta initiated development of a national health system strategy for 2013 – 2020 (NHSS) in order to meet the many challenges facing the health system in Malta. These challenges include an ageing population, growing burden of noncommunicable and chronic diseases and environmental changes.
Top storyObesity: priority for Malta and WHO/Europe's joint work
Zsuzsanna Jakab, WHO Regional Director for Europe, and Christopher Fearne, Parliamentary Secretary for Health of Malta, signed an agreement on 26 August, establishing priorities for collaboration for 2014–2015.
- Malta launches food and nutrition policy and action plan
- Highlights of day 1 – Focus on more equitable, sustainable health for Europe
- Obesity: priority for Malta and WHO/Europe’s joint work
Ministry of health
Valletta VLT 2000
Tel.: +356 22992435
Data and statistics
Life expectancy at birth, in years (as of 2011)
More data and statistics
Areas of workThe 2014–2015 priorities for collaboration with Malta are:
- control and prevention of noncommunicable diseases
- promotion of health throughout the life-course
- health systems strengthening