Training of trainers on diagnosis and treatment of depression and suicide prevention
A workshop "Training of trainers for diagnosis and treatment of depression and suicide prevention" was conducted on 18 May 2015 in Skopje, organized by WHO/Europe, the WHO Country Office and the Ministry of Health of the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. The workshop was organized in collaboration with the national association of general practitioners/family medicine doctors and the Centre for Continuous Medical Education, Medical Faculty in Skopje.
Keynote presentations on detection, diagnosis and treatment of depression and suicide prevention were given by Professor Dr Antoni Novotni, University Clinic of Psychiatry, Medical Faculty in Skopje, and Ms Dimitrinka Jordanova Peshevska, WHO consultant on mental health.
The workshop was attended by about 25 participants, consisting of general practitioners/family medicine doctors, psychiatrists and psychologists highlighting the role of intersectoral collaboration in preventing intimate partner violence and child maltreatment.
Participants resolved to:
- increase capacities and skills in early detection, diagnosis and treatment of depression;
- increase capacities for treatment of patients with suicide, collaboration of primary health care and psychiatric services;
- use the materials for municipal-level trainings for treatment of depression and suicide prevention for other general practitioners/family medicine doctors;
- increase understanding of health and social outcome of different risk factors of depression and suicide; and
- discuss challenges and opportunities in implementing evidence-based preventive practices.