WHO/Europe course on health financing: applications welcome
WHO/Europe’s office in Barcelona, Spain will host a new course on health financing on 2–6 May 2011. Its special theme is universal coverage.
The week-long, intensive training programme focuses on improving health systems’ performance through better policy on health financing, and includes:
- designing a benefit package: equity, affordability and transparency;
- raising revenues: thinking outside the box;
- pooling health revenues: the costs of fragmentation;
- purchasing: getting more health for the money;
- coordinating reform: aligning policy instruments with policy objectives.
WHO Member States pledged to move towards universal coverage at the World Health Assembly in 2005, and show renewed interest in this means of strengthening health systems. The 2010 world health report focused on universal coverage. The course will incorporate this topic in each of its teaching modules.
It is designed for policy-makers in the health sector, government staff in charge of social policy, senior managers of service-provider organizations and experts involved in health system reform.
The course will be delivered in English. The deadline for applications is 15 March 2011.