National Water Safety workshop in Turkmenistan
The WHO Country Office in Turkmenistan conducted a workshop on Water Safety from 5-6 April 2011 in Ashgabat. The workshop was organized by the Turkmenistan Ministry of Health and Medical Industry and facilitated by WHO/Europe, the Drinking Water Inspectorate (United Kingdom) and the Federal Environment Agency of Germany. Participants included specialists from the Ministry of Health and the State Sanitary-Epidemiologic Service of Turkmenistan. Presentations were given on
- WHO activities on water and sanitation;
- drinking water regulatory framework in the United Kingdom;
- activities of the Drinking Water Inspectorate on auditing and investigative roles;
- awareness raising activities on small scale water supplies; and
- an introduction to water safety plan approach.
During the workshop the participants took part in practical group exercises where they made general recommendations covering water safety issues in Turkmenistan. The conclusions drawn form these exercises helped formulate some specific tasks and further actions.