Minister of Health of Ukraine signs agreement with WHO/Europe
On 21 May 2012, during the Sixty-fifth World Health Assembly in Geneva, Switzerland, Raisa Bogatyryova, Vice-Prime Minister and Minister of Health of Ukraine, met Zsuzsanna Jakab, WHO Regional Director for Europe, and both signed the biennial collaborative agreement (BCA) for 2012–2013 between Ukraine and WHO/Europe.
Building on previous achievements, the BCA provides support to the Government of Ukraine and includes the following priorities:
- implementation of the new European health policy, Health 2020;
- health-system strengthening and public health;
- noncommunicable diseases, health promotion and healthy lifestyles;
- communicable diseases, health security and the environment; and
- health information, evidence, research and innovation.
At their meeting, Dr Bogatyryova and Ms Jakab discussed issues including the current challenges in Ukraine’s health sector, particularly in immunization and health-sector reform. Ms Jakab thanked the Ukrainian Government, Ministry staff and medical workers for their hard work and for successful collaboration in previous years. She emphasized WHO’s continued support for Ukraine.
Dr Bogatyryova described her country’s preparations to ensure access to medical services and epidemiological surveillance to prevent the spread of infectious diseases for those attending the UEFA European Football Championship (EURO 2012), to be co-hosted by Ukraine in June and July 2012.