Health technologies and medicines
WHO/Europe supports countries in their development of policies and guidance for responsible selection and use of medicines and medical products. Work is performed throughout the WHO European Region, networking with countries and providing them direct technical assistance and support. The focus is on supporting Member States to improve access to quality, affordable essential medicines and their responsible use.Read more about health technologies and medicines
Top storyUkraine’s Affordable Medicines Programme shown to have significantly improved access to medicines
Countries in the WHO European Region and globally have committed to ensuring access to safe, effective, quality and affordable essential medicines, as outlined in Sustainable Development Goal target 3.8. Ukraine’s Affordable Medicines Programme is an excellent example of how countries can make real progress towards achieving this target.
- Ukraine’s Affordable Medicines Programme shown to have significantly improved access to medicines
- Out-of-pocket payments for health, particularly for medicines, are unaffordable for many in Europe
- Maternal health: call for urgent actions for appropriate storage and management of oxytocin
- Meeting of Antimicrobial Medicine Consumption (AMC) network
- Joint UNICEF/WHO Medicine Procurement Practitioners Exchange Forum
WHO/Europe works with countries to help them ensure that people have equitable access to affordable medicines of assured quality, and that medicine will be prescribed and used appropriately.Read more about WHO/Europe’s work on medicines
Technology is used in all types of health facilities, plays a major role in contemporary health care systems and contributes directly to the quality of patient care.Read more about health technologies
The challenge to Austria’s social security system of financing new and expensive medicinesImproving access to hepatitis C medicines
National policies on medicines cover all aspects, including manufacturing, patenting, prescribing, regulation, taxation and pricing.