Follow webcast of health-financing course
Two sessions of the popular Barcelona course in health financing will be web cast for the first time in May. The live webstream will be available on WHO/Europe’s health-systems financing site, www.euro.who.int/hsf.
Introductory presentation: Monday, 14 May, 11.00–12.30 CEST
- “Health financing in the European Region: objectives and policy instruments”, by Tamás Evetovits, Melitta Jakab, Matthew Jowett and Joseph Kutzin, WHO
Keynote session: Wednesday, 16 May, 13.30–15.30 CEST
- “Universal coverage: a noble goal demands complex and difficult choices”, by William C. Hsiao, Harvard University, United States of America
- “How did Estonia maintain universal coverage during and after the financial crisis?”, by Hanno Pevkur, Minister of Social Affairs, Estonia
- “Dealing with the growing pressures for private financing in Europe: opportunities and constraints”, by Sarah Thomson, European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies and London School of Economics, United Kingdom
About the course
Developed as an advanced course for senior policy-makers in European Member States, the Barcelona course in health financing focuses on:
- the challenges of moving towards and maintaining universal coverage, especially in the aftermath of the financial crisis; and
- effective policy instruments to improve efficiency and equity in health systems.
This year, 54 participants from 23 countries in the WHO European Region will attend.