WHO Children at Hospital App
The Children at Hospital app, available in Russian and in an edition specifically designed for Kyrgyzstan, are now available to download on both Apple iOS and Android devices. The apps, which were launched at the end of 2017 provide clinical guidelines for the care of children throughout their stay in hospital.
Designed for doctors, nurses and other health workers responsible for the care of children, these guidelines focus on the management of major causes of childhood mortality, including:
- neonatal illness, including low birth weight, prematurity, sepsis, perinatal asphyxia and congenital anomalies;
- pneumonia and other breathing problems, including bronchiolitis, asthma and tuberculosis;
- diarrhoea, acute and chronic;
- fever, including malaria, meningitis, septicaemia and rheumatic fever;
- severe acute malnutrition;
- surgical problems, including trauma and burns.
The app includes guidance on the stages of management for every child: triage and emergency treatment, history and examination, laboratory investigations, supportive care and monitoring, discharge planning and follow-up.
With this app all guidelines can be viewed offline. The app contains some user-friendly features like interactive links, a search function, the possibility for viewing illustrations in full size by tapping, and formulas for medication dosage.