WHO launches app for the care of children in hospital
The WHO e-Pocketbook is now available in Russian
WHO is launching a new app to support health workers when attending children in hospital.The Children at Hospital app, now available in Russian on the Apple App Store, provides clinical guidelines for the care of children throughout their stay in hospital.
Designed for doctors, nurses and other health workers responsible for the care of children, these guidelines focus on the management of major causes of childhood mortality, including:
- neonatal illness, including low birth weight, prematurity, sepsis, perinatal asphyxia and congenital anomalies;
- pneumonia and other breathing problems, including bronchiolitis, asthma and tuberculosis;
- diarrhoea, acute and chronic;
- fever, including malaria, meningitis, septicaemia and rheumatic fever;
- severe acute malnutrition;
- surgical problems, including trauma and burns.
The app includes guidance on the stages of management for every child: triage and emergency treatment, history and examination, laboratory investigations, supportive care and monitoring, discharge planning and follow-up.
With this app all guidelines can be viewed offline. The app contains some user-friendly features like interactive links, a search function, the possibility for viewing illustrations in full size by tapping, and formulas for medication dosage.