Call for expressions of interest in a technical consultancy on poliovirus containment
The Vaccine-preventable Diseases and Immunization Programme (VPI) of the Division of Communicable Diseases, Health Security and Environment is seeking a consultant for project-based work in the area of poliovirus containment.
Duration: one year with the possibility of extension
Closing date for applications: 15 June 2015
- Prepare a plan to implement biorisk management measures in non-essential facilities by end-November 2015. The plan will outline how biorisk management measures will be implemented through destruction of all infectious and potentially infectious wild poliovirus 2 (WPV2) and oral polio vaccine 2 (OPV2)/Sabin2 materials, as described in the WHO global action plan to minimize poliovirus facility-associated risk (GAPIII).
- Produce a technical report on the revised regional inventory by end-December 2015.
- Document the completion of Phase I of the revised GAPIII in all countries of the European Region.
- Organize training courses (both logistics and content preparation) on GAPIII implementation targeted to management and technical staff of laboratory facilities, polio vaccine production facilities and containment oversight bodies.
- Compile, verify and revise the regional poliovirus containment inventory.
- Participate in other regional activities aimed at ensuring that all countries in the Region attain polio eradication targets and milestones as articulated in the Polio Eradication and Endgame Strategic Plan 2013–2018, and thereby maintain the Region's polio-free status.
- A university degree in the field of public health or microbiology/virology. Post-graduate qualifications are an asset.
- Three to five years of documented work experience in the field of public health, microbiology/virology and biosafety/biosecurity at national and/or international level.
- Fluency in verbal and written communication in English.
- Work experience with WHO or another UN agency is desirable.
- Working knowledge of Russian is desirable.
If you are qualified and interested in providing consultancy support to VPI in the above topic area, please send a letter of interest and curriculum vitae by 15 June 2015 to email@example.com.
For further information, please contact Dr Eugene Gavrilin, Group Lead, Scientist (firstname.lastname@example.org; +45 4533 6680).