Georgia: World TB Day 2009 activities
The National Centre of Tuberculosis and Lung Diseases (NCTLD) and the national tuberculosis (TB) programme:
- organized, in cooperation with the Ministry of Labour, Health and Social Affairs of Georgia, a morning conference dedicated to TB prevention and treatment in Georgia, with participants including the Minister of Health, the Ambassador of the United States of America and representatives of the Parliamentary Committee on Health Care and Social Issues, other partner organizations and the media;
- planted new seedlings on NCTLD property within the framework of the project “Healthy Breathing”;
- organized a presentation about TB for university students on 23 March, in conjunction with the traditional medicine and bioethics faculties of Tbilisi Medical State University, while student activists organized an event and an art exhibit dedicated to TB;
- broadcast audio and video clips on TB, beginning on 23 March;
- organized two one-day training sessions for non-medical students to raise their awareness of TB;
- disseminated printed information, education and communication materials countrywide, to inform the general population and patients on relevant TB issues (NCTLD cooperated with Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) to implement such activities in Zugdidi, in the Samegrelo region).