Meeting of the European Tuberculosis Laboratory Initiative (ELI) Core Group (2017)
The third face-to-face meeting of the renewed European Tuberculosis Laboratory Initiative (ELI) core group was held on 25 August 2017 in Copenhagen, Denmark.
The meeting objectives were to:
- discuss the outputs and achievements of the renewed core group since February 2017;
- brainstorm on future activities;
- exchange experiences and discuss the challenges and opportunities of joint TB/HIV diagnostic services; and
- discuss the requirements to ensure full implementation of the Genotype MTBDRsl assay version 2 in the Region.
A range of possible future activities and areas of work were discussed and three immediate tasks were agreed upon. These were to:
- produce a briefing document to support the integration of HIV and TB testing using the GeneXpert platform;
- produce a draft outline on the training of laboratory staff for setting up and using line probe assays for resistance to second-line anti-tuberculosis drugs and;
- prepare a concept note describing data management systems for laboratories.
A number of other potential areas of interest for future activities were also discussed and plans will be developed further at subsequent meetings of the group.