WHO European Action Plan for Food and Nutrition Policy 2007–2012
The Action Plan was developed through a series of consultations with Member States, international organizations, professional societies, nongovernmental organizations and public health experts initiated at the ministerial conference on counteracting obesity in 2006. Member States endorsed the Plan in 2007.
Six key areas of the Action Plan
The Action Plan sets goals and targets for the various health challenges and identifies six areas for integrated action in individual Member States and at regional level:
- supporting a healthy start;
- ensuring a safe, healthy and sustainable food supply;
- providing comprehensive information and education to consumers;
- taking integrated action to address related determinants – such as physical activity, alcohol consumption, drinking water and the environment;
- strengthening nutrition and food safety in the health sector;
- monitoring, evaluation and research.
WHO/Europe supports individual Member States and coordinates international work to implement the Action Plan. The Action Plan is the second of its kind. In September 2000, the WHO Regional Committee for Europe endorsed the first action plan for 2000–2005.