The Tobacco Control Database for the WHO European Region
The Tobacco Control Database for the WHO European Region is a tool that promotes the “power of data” concept, enabling the visitor to use the data and transform it into action.
The database can help increase political commitment for strengthening tobacco control legislation by showing how the country of interest is doing in relation to other countries and understanding the gaps in the current legislation to better formulate the policy options.
The database can help in the preparation of steps in strengthening tobacco control legislation by determining which countries are leaders in the Region and reviewing the leading countries’ legislation to learn “good practices” in drafting strong legislation.
Some important features within the database are:
- providing country-specific data;
- offering country comparisons;
- identifying leading countries in the Region within specific WHO FCTC measures;
- identifying and displaying the relevant articles within the law;
- providing the entire text of the law in the original language and the English translation (both upon availability); and
- displaying the data in visually friendly and interactive bar charts.
The first phase of the database focuses on tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship.