Congratulations to all Member States on a successful European Immunization Week 2014
European Immunization Week (EIW) 2014, which took place 22–26 April, was bigger and better than ever before. This was fitting for the year that one of the world's most successful public health programmes, the Expanded Programme on Immunization (EPI), celebrates turning 40.
Member States are the stars of the show
Country activities are the most important part of EIW. This year has seen:
- meetings of health care workers and public health officials on immunization topics in Albania, Armenia, Czech Republic, Estonia and Poland;
- workshops for journalists in Armenia and Poland;
- EIW branded awareness campaigns in Belarus, Belgium, Poland, Lithuania and Slovenia;
- new vaccine introductions in Estonia, Slovak Republic and Uzbekistan;
- free vaccination campaigns in France, Kyrgysztan, Tajikiistan and Uzbekistan;
- launch of a smart phone application for immunization reminders in Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Republic of Moldova and Romania.
This list is by no means exhaustive and a more comprehensive description will be included in our Narrative Report, which will be published later in the year.
Online and social media attention
The EIW campaign website saw a sharp increase in activity in terms of forum postings, bloggers and an increase in members.
Social media was used more intensively than in previous years, and was instrumental in drawing extra attention to this year´s emphasis on immunization at all ages. Tweets with the #EIW2014 hashtag were sent in all 4 official languages of WHO/Europe and at an average rate of 1 every 3 minutes of the working day.
Below are highlights of the activities presented on the WHO/Europe and EIW campaign websites.