Integrating health in policies for mitigation of and adaptation to climate change
WHO/Europe supports countries in developing policies that integrate health in mitigation and adaptation interventions by:
- leading projects that identify effective prevention/adaptation policies and assess the health and other benefits of adaptation measures, and
- supporting mitigation and adaptation options within country initiatives.
- assessing health risks;
- integrating health into national adaptation strategies;
- developing health action plans; and
- promoting measures that benefit both human health and the climate system, such as mainstreaming health into planning of different sectors.
Energy, transport and urban planning are among the sectors involved. Additional activities concern further research on and monitoring of the costs, benefits and effectiveness of interventions.