Six strategic goals
The WHO European Healthy Cities Network has six strategic goals:
- to promote policies and action for health and sustainable development at the local level and across the WHO European Region, with an emphasis on the determinants of health, people living in poverty and the needs of vulnerable groups;
- to strengthen the national standing of Healthy Cities in the context of policies for health development, public health and urban regeneration with emphasis on national–local cooperation;
- to generate policy and practice expertise, good evidence, knowledge and methods that can be used to promote health in all cities in the Region;
- to promote solidarity, cooperation and working links between European cities and networks and with cities and networks participating in the Healthy Cities movement;
- to play an active role in advocating for health at the European and global levels through partnerships with other agencies concerned with urban issues and networks of local authorities; and
- to increase the accessibility of the WHO European Network to all Member States in the European Region.