WHO and the International Agency for Research on Cancer advise Belarus on tackling NCDs
A WHO-led mission visited Belarus on 17–19 February 2014 to review and advise on developments related to control of noncommunicable diseases (NCDs) in the country.
The mission was conducted by Dr Gauden Galea of WHO/Europe; Dr Lawrence von Karsa and Dr Eero Suonio, both of the International Agency for Research on Cancer; and Dr Ahti Anttila of the Mass Screening Registry/Finnish Cancer Registry, Finland.
Specific topics discussed with the Minister of Health and officials of the Ministry of Health included:
- development of screening programmes for cervical cancer and breast cancer, based on
- new WHO guidelines on cervical cancer screening;
- development of the National Plan on Noncommunicable Diseases Control;
- alcohol and tobacco control policies;
- possible assistance from WHO in adoption of new tobacco-control legislation, as well as making the 2014 Men's World Ice Hockey Championships (to be held on 9–25 May 2014 in Minsk, Belarus) a tobacco-free event.
Following up on a discussion with the WHO Regional Director during her visit to Belarus in November 2013, the organization of a conference on NCDs was also considered.