Depression in Europe: facts and figures
- Each year, 25% of the population suffer from depression or anxiety.
- Neuropsychiatric disorders account for 19.5% of the burden of disease in the European Region, and 26% in European Union (EU) countries.
- These disorders account for up to 40% of years lived with disability, with depression as the main cause.
- Up to 50% of chronic sick leaves are due to depression/anxiety.
- About 50% of major depressions are untreated.
- The cost of mood disorders and anxiety in the EU is about €170 billion per year.