Achievements of phase I
This project was initiated in 2012 to strengthen health systems for the prevention and control of NCDs in eastern Europe and central Asia. The main achievements of the first phase in the selected countries (Armenia, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan) were:
- development of a national NCD strategy, policy and action plan;
- implementation of a health systems assessment and initiation of an essential package of interventions in primary care (based on the WHO package of essentials NCDs (PEN));
- implementation of the WHO STEPwise approach to surveillance surveys for a comprehensive risk factor baseline assessment; and
- increased NCD capacity through training of managers and policy-makers.
Over 2014–2016, this successful approach is being extended in several ways.
- A larger list of countries can now be supported.
- Interventions related to both the prevention (risk reduction) and control (management of NCDs) will be incorporated in the package.
- The project will be implemented through the Regional Office and the NCD project being set up in Moscow, Russian Federation.