First High-level Preparatory Meeting, Milan, Italy, 10-12 March 2008
The preparations for the Fifth Ministerial Conference on Environment and Health included three high-level meetings. The first meeting provided an opportunity for Member States, organizations and other stakeholders to ensure that priority concerns identified by the intergovernmental mid-term review (2007) were adequately addressed by the Conference.
It focused on safe water and sanitation and on injury prevention and promotion of physical activity, two of the four priorities of the Children’s Environment and Health Action Plan for Europe (CEHAPE). These priorities were endorsed by the 24th Environment and Health Committee (EEHC) meeting in October 2007 and included:
- inequity in environment and health;
- gender issues;
- specific needs of the newly independent states and countries of south-eastern Europe;
- working with new stakeholders including local authorities, the private sector and young people;
- synergies and new opportunities in working across boundaries, with a particular focus on climate change (established political processes will also be addressed under this priority);
- understanding the influence of the economy on environment and health policy-making.
EEHC members met in an executive session at the end of the Meeting.