Joint meeting of the nursing and midwifery expert group with WHO Collaborating Centres for nursing
A joint meeting of the nursing and midwifery expert group with WHO Collaborating Centres for nursing was convened by the WHO Regional Office for Europe on 26-28 June 2013.
The meeting brought together government chief nurses, experts from academia and the European Forum of National Nursing and Midwifery Associations with WHO. Its aim was to promote debate on effective strategies and policy options for strengthening nursing and midwifery in the European Region in the context of Health 2020.
The specific objectives of the meeting were:
- to exchange ideas, country experiences and innovations in nursing and midwifery in support of health systems’ strengthening,
- review the progress and documents prepared by the Human Resources for Health programme for the biennial Regional meeting of Chief Nursing Officers (CNO) in 2013;
- to identify areas of technical cooperation and follow up actions
Participants provided feedback to the following strategic documents:
- European Strategic Directions for Strengthening Nursing and Midwifery Towards Health 2020;
- Creation of European Compendium of Good Nursing and Midwifery Practice;
- Country Profiles on Nursing and Midwifery.
Additionally, they discussed planning the WHO Regional Meeting of CNO to take place in Vilnius, Lithuania, 8-9 October 2013 in conjunction with the EU presidency CNO meeting.