European Forum for Primary Care conference: balancing primary and secondary care provision for more integration and better health outcomes
9–10 September 2013, Istanbul, Turkey
The European Forum for Primary Care (EFPC) and the Turkish Foundation of Family Medicine (TAHEV) are hosting the conference with support from the International Hospital Federation (IHF) and WHO/Europe. It will explore how the balance between primary and secondary care can lead to more integration and better health outcomes.
The goal of the conference is to identify, explore, and further develop and sustain primary care as a hub for person-centred health systems. The conference organizers emphasize that the key players in primary and secondary care encompass a wide range of disciplines such as medical doctors, nurses (general and more specialized), pharmacists, dieticians and physiotherapists, who all play an equal role in efficiently and effectively delivering health care. Participants at the conference will include TAHEV representatives, the EFPC Executive Board and invited guests.
The conference will have various keynote speakers including Dr Hans Kluge, Director of the Division of Health Systems and Public Health at WHO/Europe. During the conference, participants from the health service delivery system will interact and exchange information and lessons based on their experiences.
Participants will try to answer the following questions at the conference:
- What are the reasons for integration?
- How do we overcome cultural differences between sectors (especially primary and secondary care)?
- What are the consequences of integration from the perspective of patients, primary care units and secondary care hospitals?
- If integration cannot be achieved just by bringing organizations together, what else is needed?
- How do we define proper incentives to provide better integration?
- Where do we start integration: from primary care upwards into hospital care or vice versa?
- What are the further implications of reduced hospital care due to integration?