National responses to noncommunicable diseases
In the past two years, many initiatives have been taken to carry out the Action Plan for Implementation of the European Strategy for the Prevention and Control of Noncommunicable Diseases 2012–2016 and develop modern, integrated health systems based on primary health care. Countries have sought:
- to plan action on noncommunicable diseases (NCDs);
- to set up multisectoral mechanisms for health governance;
- to develop and test mechanisms for health-systems assessment;
- to explore incentive and payment systems;
- to take action to and conduct research on empowering patients and make them co-producers of care; and
- to establish new health information systems.
Member States will report and review their experience in this area, based on lessons learnt from health-system reviews and the results of WHO surveys of country capacity for NCD prevention and control, the fourth of which was conducted in 2013.