Pan European Expert consultation on military/travelers’ diarrhoea: risk assessment and management strategies
On 16-17 December 2013 the Pan European Expert consultation on risk assessment and management strategies was organized at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, Camberley, Surrey, United Kingdom under the aegis of WHO and the International Committee of Military Medicine (ICMM). It was to ICMM and WHO Member States.
The consultation aimed to:
- gain awareness of the military experience with travelers’ diarrhoea burden of disease and management strategies in European countries;
- identify gaps in knowledge associated with etiology, disease risk, attributable chronic health consequences;
- identify gaps in diagnostics, disease prevention, and treatment;
- develop a Pan-European gap analysis with focus on areas of education, policy, research & development; and
- propose consensus standards for case definitions, data collection, laboratory processing, and clinical management.
The delegates agreed that since the impact of diarrhoea in the military/travelers can be considerable, elaborating common successful strategies of the disease prevention and management would be the basis for the future collaboration and communication.