Flagship Course on Health Systems Strengthening: focus on noncommunicable diseases
27 April–1 May 2015, Barcelona, Spain
The WHO Regional Office for Europe is hosting the 11th Flagship Course on Health Systems Strengthening to be held from 27 April to 1 May 2015 in Barcelona, Spain. The course is offered by the Division of Health Systems and Public Health of the WHO Regional Office for Europe through the WHO Barcelona Office for Health Systems Strengthening and focuses on noncommunicable diseases (NCDs).
The deadline for receiving applications is 20 March 2015.
The week-long intensive and interactive course takes a systematic approach to health systems strengthening in order to address the growing burden of NCDs. Integrating theory and practice, the course tackles a number of key topics, incorporating:
- assessing health system performance, including progress on NCD outcomes towards the NCD Global Monitoring Framework 2025 targets and equity dimensions;
- systematically diagnosing determinants of health system performance;
- reviewing regional trends in the coverage of core NCD interventions and services, with a focus on options to scale up individual health services for cardiovascular disease, diabetes and cancer;
- tackling health system challenges through effective policies such as making priority-setting more explicit in line with health system goals, empowering the population to become front-line workers in managing their chronic conditions, strengthening the models of care for early detection and proactive management of NCDs, ensuring better continuity and coordination across providers and aligning incentives with desired service delivery solutions;
- learning from good practice experiences in Europe through two “good practice roundtables”;
- carrying out an own country exercise.
In each module, participants and trainers will be engaged in interactive discussions.
The course will be delivered in English with simultaneous translation to Russian.
FacultyThe core training team will be composed of:
- Rifat Atun, Professor of Global Health Systems, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health;
- Tamás Evetovits, Head of Office a.i., WHO Barcelona Office for Health Systems Strengthening, WHO Regional Office for Europe;
- Melitta Jakab, Senior Health Financing Policy Analyst, WHO Regional Office for Europe;
- Sarah Thomson, Senior Health Financing Specialist, WHO Regional Office for Europe.
In addition to the core trainers, invited experts will share examples of good practice from Europe.
Target groups and participants
The course is open to all 53 Member States in the WHO European Region and will accept a maximum of 50 participants. It is designed for national and regional government officials from health ministries, health insurance funds and economic and finance ministries; representatives of academic institutions, international and nongovernmental organizations; and health service providers in the public and private sectors.
To secure participation in the course, participants will be charged a registration fee of €700, payable upon acceptance of application. The fee includes tuition, course materials, coffee breaks and lunches on all five days of the course and one dinner reception.
Participants (or their funding agencies) will be responsible for covering the costs of travel, accommodation and subsistence while in Barcelona. Special rates will be arranged at hotels close to the venue.
Sant Pau Art Nouveau Site
C. Sant Antoni Maria Claret, 167
To secure a place, applicants must submit a completed registration form and return it no later than 20 March 2015. Acceptance decisions will be communicated to all applicants by 23 March 2015.
If appropriate, applicants are responsible for obtaining a visa. A formal invitation and visa support letter will be provided by WHO. Please note that obtaining a visa may require several weeks; early application is advised./p>
For further information about the course, contact:
Course directors: Dr Tamás Evetovits, Dr Melitta Jakab
Ms Aida Abdraimova (tel.: +996 312 666 244); or Ms Asel Dunganova (tel.: +996 312 660 998).
Send completed applications by email (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org); or by fax (+996 312 663 649).