European Development Days
3-4 June 2015, Brussels, Belgium
2015 marks the deadlines for both reaching the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and agreeing on the post-2015 development framework. How can health be assured to remain a top priority on the post-2015 agenda, and how can the lessons learnt from the Ebola crisis be integrated into it?
Join international experts to discuss the role of health care in addressing global humanitarian and health crises during the European Union (EU) European Development Days, #EDD2015. Events organized by WHO/Europe include, on 4 June:
- from response to resilience: consolidating efforts for a sustainable Ebola response towards resilient health systems, 11:30–13:00, Auditorium C; and
- International Health Regulation in the context of cross-border health threats, 14:15–15:30.
Visit the WHO stand at the practice village during the event and discuss the issues with experts.
Register online until 14 May 2015. Venue information is available on the European Development Days website. Further information is available by email (email@example.com).
The 2014 outbreak of the Ebola virus disease (EVD) in West Africa showed that many countries were ill prepared for a large, unprecedented outbreak. It was a wake-up call for the international community: strengthening fragile and inflexible health systems is a priority in Africa and beyond.
The health and humanitarian crisis arising from the EVD outbreak is one of the most severe public health emergencies in modern times.
New and emerging global health crises may occur in countries with health systems too weak to withstand them.
- What lessons from the EVD experience can best help to improve global preparedness and response?
- How can the international community, in cooperation with affected countries, support activities to strengthen fragile health systems and make them sustainable, resilient and prepared to respond to crises?
- What means can be used to engage further with local communities to enhance their resilience?
- What is the role of the International Health Regulations (IHR) in the response to health crises? And what is the role of the international community in supporting the implementation of IHR?