Sub-regional workshop on oral polio vaccine (OPV) switch
30 June–2 July 2015, Batumi, Georgia
As part of the Polio Eradication End-Game Strategic Plan 2013-2018, all immunization programmes in the world that use oral polio vaccine (OPV) will be required to switch from trivalent to bivalent OPV within a 2-week timeframe (scheduled for April 2016).
Planning for this switch is underway in the 19 Member States in the WHO European Region that use OPV in their routine immunization schedules. In support of this work, WHO/Europe is organizing this sub-regional workshop:
- to brief Member States on the global and regional status of meeting Objective 2 of the Polio Eradication End-Game Strategic Plan 2013-2018;
- to discuss the switch guidelines and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) prepared at the global level;
- to discuss challenges in implementing the global SOPs and possible amendments to the regional guidelines;
- to help Member States draft detailed switch implementation plans;
- to discuss additional support and further steps needed in terms of preparing for the switch and a timeframe for support.