WHO European high-level meeting on refugee and migrant Health
Ministers of health and other senior representatives of the health sector from the 53 countries in the WHO European Region and representatives of international organizations will meet to discuss the numerous public health challenges, needs and priorities raised by the large-scale movement of refugees and migrants in Europe. The objective of the meeting is to agree on a common approach to refugee and migrant health. An outcome document is expected to be adopted, paving the way for a new WHO European regional strategy and action plan on migration in 2016.
23–24 November 2015
Ministers and high-level representatives of Member States in the WHO European Region, WHO headquarters, the WHO regional offices for Africa and for the Eastern Mediterranean (who will identify the main countries of transit and origin that should send representatives to participate in the meeting), the European Commission, the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, the United Nations Children's Fund, the United Nations Development Programme, the International Organization for Migration, the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS, the United Nations Population Fund and other international organizations
- The meeting will be open to the press on Monday 23 November, from 9:30 to 11:00.
- The opening press conference will be held on Monday 23 November at 11:00. Details of the press conference will be forthcoming.
- Upon request, certain participants will be available for interviews.
The meeting will address the following important questions:
- What are the main public health challenges and needs created by the large influx of refugees and migrants into the European Region?
- What are the experiences and best practices of meeting the challenges and needs?
- What are the main migration-related public health priorities?
- What are the policy and strategic implications for countries' health care systems?
- How can the WHO/Europe best support Member States in responding to the public health and migration challenges?
- and others.
Provisional programme and other information about the meeting is available on: http://www.euro.who.int/en/media-centre/events/events/2015/11/high-level-meeting-on-refugee-and-migrant-health/background
The meeting is hosted by the Government of Italy.
For further information and press accreditation for the meeting, please contact:
Media Relations Officer
WHO Regional Office for Europe (UN City, Marmorvej 51, 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark)
Tel.: +45 45 33 67 89
Mobile: +45 20 45 92 74