Ninth meeting on the WHO European Childhood Obesity Surveillance Initiative (COSI)
13–14 June 2016, St Petersburg, Russian Federation
The WHO European Childhood Obesity Surveillance Initiative (COSI) now includes 36 countries. The system consists of routine measurement of trends in overweight and obesity in primary-school children aged 6–9 years; the aims are to obtain a correct measure of the progress of the epidemic in this population group and to provide data for inter-country comparisons within the European Region. More than 250 000 school-age children are measured and surveyed with a common protocol and approach.
Surveillance data are essential to inform policy development in the European Region and to indicate trends and the impact of actions taken.
The 9th annual WHO COSI meeting will take place on 13–14 June in St Petersburg, Russian Federation. Participants will exchange experiences, discuss national results and review methods and procedures. The main objectives of the meeting are to:
- discuss progress in the 4th data collection round;
- discuss the expansion and sustainability of COSI;
- discuss WHO support to data collection, analysis and reporting;
- plan forthcoming reports and publications;
- discuss interaction and collaboration with the Health Behaviour in School-aged Children and other surveys; and
- discuss national and European results and analyses from the 3rd round.