World No Tobacco Day 2017: Tobacco – a threat to development
31 May 2017
Every year, on 31 May, WHO and partners mark World No Tobacco Day (WNTD), highlighting the health and additional risks associated with tobacco use, and advocating for effective policies to reduce tobacco consumption.
The theme for World No Tobacco Day 2017 is "Tobacco – a threat to development."
Tobacco control supports health and development
WHO is calling on countries to prioritize and accelerate tobacco control efforts as part of their responses to the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
All countries benefit from successfully controlling the tobacco epidemic, above all by protecting their citizens from the harms of tobacco use and reducing its economic toll on national economies. The aim of the Sustainable Development Agenda, and its 17 global goals, is to ensure that "no one is left behind."
Tobacco control has been enshrined in the Sustainable Development Agenda. It is seen as one of the most effective means to help achieve SDG target 3.4 of a one-third reduction globally, by 2030, of premature deaths from noncommunicable diseases (NCDs), including cardiovascular disease, cancers and chronic obstructed pulmonary disease. Strengthening implementation of the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco in all countries is an additional target to be met by governments developing national sustainable development responses.
Goals of the World No Tobacco Day 2017 campaign
World No Tobacco Day 2017 aims to:
- Highlight the links between the use of tobacco products, tobacco control and sustainable development.
- Encourage countries to include tobacco control in their national responses to 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda.
- Support Member States and civil society to combat tobacco industry interference in political processes, in turn leading to stronger national tobacco control action.
- Encourage broader public and partner participation in national, regional and global efforts to develop and implement development strategies and plans and achieve goals that prioritize action on tobacco control.
- Demonstrate how individuals can contribute to making a sustainable, tobacco-free world, either by committing to never taking up tobacco products, or by quitting the habit.
Learn more about the World No Tobacco Day 2017 campaign by visiting the link below.