European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) Annual Influenza Meeting
20–22 June 2017, Stockholm, Sweden
The upcoming ECDC Annual Influenza Meeting of the European Influenza Surveillance Network (EISN) follows in a series jointly organized with WHO/Europe. Past meetings included participants from the 53 Member States of the WHO European Region, and focused on epidemiological and virological aspects of influenza surveillance and other influenza-related topics, especially prevention and vaccination.
This event will bring together representatives from the 31 European Union/European Economic Area Member States as well as Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Israel, Kosovo (in accordance with United Nations Security Council Resolution 1244 ), Serbia, Switzerland, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia and Turkey. Representatives from WHO/Europe will also be present.
The Meeting’s topics and sessions were developed in close cooperation with the EISN Coordination Committee and WHO/Europe. Its main objectives are to:
- provide a situation update in the areas of epidemiology, virology and vaccination for the 2016–2017 influenza season, including with regard to A(H3N2) and emerging new respiratory viruses of particular public health concern (H5N1, H5N8, H7N9 and enterovirus D68);
- discuss developments in respiratory syncytial virus surveillance;
- present new developments in the European Surveillance System platform, as well as updates on the development and future work of Flu News Europe;
- improve preparedness in the area of surveillance and of the laboratory network;
- provide an update on influenza vaccine coverage, effectiveness and new developments; and
- maintain and strengthen collaboration and information-sharing among members of EISN.