National health research systems multicountry meeting
15–17 November 2017, Sofia, Bulgaria
Participants from nine countries in eastern Europe and central Asia will explore country-driven and systems approaches to strengthen local evidence for local decision-making at a meeting on 15–17 November 2017 in Sofia, Bulgaria.
The three-day meeting aims to:
- establish mutual understanding about the importance of public health and health systems research to support evidence-informed health policy-making;
- enable participants to gain robust knowledge of the systems approach to national health research and the need for a health research strategy;
- introduce tools and approaches for assessing national health research systems and developing or enhancing a national strategy;
- facilitate exchanges of experience in developing and strengthening national health research systems at the national and regional levels; and
- identify clear next actions to strengthen national health research in participating countries through strategy development.
The meeting’s co-organizers are the Division of Information, Evidence, Research and Innovation of the WHO Regional Office for Europe and the Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases at WHO headquarters. This is an important capacity-building activity of the European Health Information Initiative and a milestone step towards implementing the Action plan to strengthen the use of evidence, information and research for policy-making in the WHO European Region.
The key expected outcomes of the meeting are that participants will have taken initial and practical steps towards drafting a national health research strategy and will have been involved in the establishment of an informal network for national health research strengthening.