Meetings of the measles/rubella laboratory network of the western and central European countries and of the Russian Federation and Newly Independent States of the WHO European Region
13–16 November 2018, Copenhagen, Denmark
These meetings, which will partially overlap, aim to provide updates on recent developments at WHO global and regional levels and to provide a forum for national and regional reference laboratories of the European Region to share information on their performance, achievements and challenges regarding laboratory aspects of measles and rubella surveillance.
The meeting of the measles/rubella laboratory network of the western and central European countries will take place on 13–15 November 2018, followed by the meeting of the measles/rubella laboratory network of the Russian Federation and Newly Independent States of the WHO European Region on 14–16 November 2018.
More than 70 participants and observers from 50 Members States, partner agencies and the Regional Verification Commission for Measles and Rubella Elimination are expected.
The meetings have the following objectives:
- to update participants on progress and developments related to the European Measles and Rubella Laboratory Network (LabNet) and disease elimination programmes at regional and global levels;
- to review the performance of LabNet laboratories, and discuss country experiences, achievements and challenges;
- to discuss accreditation issues and laboratory contributions to national verification processes;
- to share information about new molecular assays and protocols for measles and rubella laboratory-supported surveillance;
- to present recent information about serology kits comparison and procurement;
- to update participants on the eLearning tool;
- to present the new WHO laboratory manual and discuss the implications of the revised laboratory algorithms in different settings;
- to provide a skills strengthening session on viral sequences analyses and management including reporting to WHO nucleotide surveillance databases.