Annual Meeting of the WHO European National Healthy Cities Networks
29–31 May 2019, Lisbon, Portugal
The WHO European Healthy Cities Network entered Phase VII (2019–2024) of operation in January 2019. This brings a new phase of work for the 31st year of this movement within the WHO European Region. Throughout its 30 years of functioning, the Network has brought together over 100 designated cities and approximately 30 accredited national networks to strengthen healthy cities. The success of this movement within the European Region has been noticed at a global level and there is a call for the Network to share its knowledge, operations and learning with partners involved in healthy cities movements in other WHO regions.
National networks are an essential pillar of the Healthy Cities movement in the European Region. National networks provide technical and strategic support to the efforts of their member cities to improve health and well-being for all, and to reduce health inequalities and overcome barriers to the local implementation of WHO-inspired and national policy frameworks. Every national network has developed according to the unique needs of its member cities, its available resources, and cultural and legal frameworks. The priority for the next phase of work is to strengthen and support national networks to take a leading role in developing and supporting the Healthy Cities movement across the Region and beyond.
The Annual Meeting of the WHO European National Healthy Cities Networks will bring together political representatives and coordinators from the networks, representatives of ministries of health from countries of Region, WHO National Counterparts and National Technical Focal Points from countries, WHO technical experts, and representatives of healthy cities movements in other WHO regions. The meeting will explore ways to implement the plans and priorities for Phase VII as outlined in the Belfast Charter for Healthy Cities and the WHO European Healthy Cities Network Implementation Framework for Phase VII, and will discuss and strategize ways to share healthy cities approaches and learning gained from 30 years of the healthy cities movement.
The meeting has 4 key objectives:
- to undertake a situation analysis of the national networks in the European Region in the context of the strategic objectives, goals and implementation framework for national networks in Phase VII;
- to identify examples of good practice and ways of strengthening synergy and coherence between networks and national counterparts as part of Phase VII implementation;
- to share examples of good practice and lessons learned, as well as discuss ways to strengthen the scientific and technical support to national networks;
- to discuss the creation of an action plan and accountability and indicator framework for national networks by using exercises designed to deliver leadership training.
The meeting will work towards achieving 5 key outcomes:
- situation analysis of the work of national networks in relation to the Phase VII implementation framework in the European Region, including strengths, gaps and opportunities;
- identification of case studies of good practice and of approaches to strengthening synergy and coherence between networks and national counterparts as part of implementation of Phase VII;
- identification of good practice in the scientific and technical support to be provided to national networks;
- a draft outline of a national network action plan and accountability and impact framework;
- identification of new tools for leadership training.
For more information, please contact email@example.com