Fifth session of the Meeting of the Parties to the Protocol on Water and Health
19–21 November 2019, Belgrade, Serbia
The Meeting of the Parties to the Protocol on Water and Health is a high-level intergovernmental meeting on advancing the water, sanitation and health agenda in the pan-European region in support of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
The high-level ministerial session of the Meeting will review progress towards attaining the Sustainable Development Goals related to water, sanitation and health, and foster strategic discussion on implementation gaps. Participants will discuss political and technical dimensions of key issues for the pan-European region, such as the safe management of water and sanitation services in light of climate change; equitable access to water and sanitation; and current water-related health concerns, such as Legionella outbreaks and antimicrobial resistance.
The Meeting will be an important opportunity to review achievements, reflect on challenges and identify the need for action in areas such as:
- water and health governance through target setting;
- prevention and reduction of water-related diseases;
- water, sanitation and hygiene in schools and health-care facilities;
- small-scale water supplies and sanitation;
- safe and efficient management of water supply and sanitation systems;
- equitable access to water and sanitation and the realization of related human rights; and
- increased resilience of water and sanitation infrastructure to climate change.
Participants will also review the progress of the fourth reporting cycle under the Protocol and adopt a new programme of work for 2020–2022. Partners will organize additional parallel events on priority water, sanitation and health issues.